In celebration of British Pie Week, Our Berkeley Scott Chef Consultant, Adam Lawson has created a mouthwatering Steak and Ale Pie Recipe for you all to try at home.
500g Plain Flour
1 Tablespoon ice cold water
600g Beef Shoulder
2 Pints of real Ale
15g Picked Thyme
2 Cloves garlic (germs removed)
2L Beef stock
1. Dice the butter and the lard into 1cm cubes. With cold hands, gradually incorporate the fat into the flour and salt, rubbing between fingers to create a fine breadcrumb consistency.
2. Create a well in the centre of the bowl. Whisk the egg and water together in a separate bowl then add the egg mixture into the pastry mix and quickly fold together, DO NOT OVER WORK.
3. When the mixture comes together (this should take 10-20 seconds), place into a bowl, cling film and refrigerate for 40 minutes.
4. Heat Up Beef stock and start to reduce. Take the beef shoulder and cut off any fat, sinew or silver skin. Dice into 1.5” cubes.
5. Dice carrots, leeks, celery and onions. Peel the garlic, Cut in half lengthways and remove the germ. Crush and finely dice. Pick the Thyme.
6. In a heavy thick-based saucepan, add some olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan, allow to get hot. When hot, add the beef and fry until coloured all round.
7. Remove beef from pan, add the carrots, onions and celery, pan fry in the same pan using the fat from the beef and oil. When coloured add the garlic and picked thyme and gently cook for 3 minutes. Add the Beef back to the pan and allow to return to temperature, then add the leeks and the flour to the pan and cook out.
8. Add the beef stock and ale to the pan, stir and reduce. Leave on the stove uncovered to reduce and thicken.
9. When the filling reaches the desired consistency, remove from heat and chill.
10. Roll out the pastry and use the majority to fill one large or multiple pie dishes. When both parts are chilled, fill the pie base with the mixture.
11. Cut pastry onto the top of the pie and egg wash. Grind Black pepper on top and press a fork into the sides of the pie to seal it in.
12. Place back in the oven to cook the pastry and heat the mixture.
13. Remove from oven and serve.